In his 10+ years as a broadcaster, Joe Irby identified a number of issues that came up repeatedly at the various radio stations where he worked. Sometimes, these issues have baffled station owners and managers. Joe Irby prepared this guide to help station owners and managers understand how to best address these legal issues.
- I want to add a booster, or a translator to my broadcast station or I’d like to apply for an LPFM.
- How many hours must I operate my broadcast station?
- What does the “Chief Operator” do, and why do I need one?
- What is a legal ID and when must I run one? Are the requirements the same for radio and television? How do I run a legal ID on my booster/translator?
- How long does my license last?
- What are the requirements for running a PSA?
- What needs to be in my public file? How do I maintain it?
- Unlicensed Broadcasting – Do I need a license to broadcast?
- How do I borrow/leverage money against my radio station and license?
- What is the No Urban/No Spanish Dictate Rule?
Hopefully you find this quick guide to be helpful. If you have a suggestion for a future topic, you are welcome to contact us.